[LLVMdev] Stale type system documentation?

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Tue Jan 7 10:04:03 PST 2014

Looking at the LangRef, I see some wording relating to the type system
which appears to have not been updated.  The section that concerns me is:
" Note that type names are aliases for the structural type that they
indicate, and that you can therefore specify multiple names for the same
type. This often leads to confusing behavior when dumping out a .ll
file. Since LLVM IR uses structural typing, the name is not part of the
type. When printing out LLVM IR, the printer will pick /one name/ to
render all types of a particular shape. This means that if you have code
where two different source types end up having the same LLVM type, that
the dumper will sometimes print the "wrong" or unexpected type. This is
an important design point and isn't going to change." from
http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#named-types

In particular, this appears to be in direct contradiction with:
http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#structure-type

Can anyone else confirm my interpretation?  I want to be sure there's
not something subtle here I'm missing.

Philip