[LLVMdev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

David Tweed david.tweed at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 12:43:47 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, those bots are our only solution for now, and we'll have to
>> keep them running the best we can. We must fix the problem (grep on errors,
>> and all the other things we discussed last week), not turn off the only
>> buildbots we have.
>

> I didn't realise these bots were the last line of defence for ARM support!

A better way of looking at it would be that most LLVM developers only
"pre-test" their
patches on their own development machines, which tend to be either x86-64 or x86
machines. While ARM is mostly similar, there are things that are done
differently at
both the LLVM and clang levels (eg, the Itanium C++ ABI used does some
things differently
to the x86 based ABIs.) In a way they're a lot more of a first line of
defence, trying to
ensure that all commits get at least superficial ARM testing
regardless of what platform
the developer is using.

It is a bit annoying that none of the available ARM boards suitable
for putting in a board
farm have quite the reliability level that would be ideal for buildbot use.

Cheers,
Dave
--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________