[LLVMdev] A question about everyone's favorite constructs: NSW and NUW

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sun Jan 5 09:17:52 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----

I'm in favor of having NSW/NUW information available at the SDAG level (and even at the MI level), but for other reasons. For this problem, I vote for solution 1b. My rationale is that this would solve a problem that I currently have in the PowerPC backend for 64-bit targets in a general way:

On 64-bit PPC targets, return values are (zero or sign) extended to 64-bits. Here's a simple example that demonstrates the issue:

define signext i32 @foo(i1 zeroext %a) #0 {
entry:
  %cond = select i1 %a, i32 7, i32 12
  ret i32 %cond
}

compiles into something like this:

	li r4, 7
	li r3, 12
	isel r3, r4, r3, 1
	rldicl r3, r3, 0, 32 <-- this is a completely unnecessary extension
        blr

Obviously, this affects cases other than when the extension is part of the return value (although the return value case is a pretty obvious code wart).

One possible solution to this that I've thought about (although not yet experimented with) is 'promoting' all 32-bit operations to 64-bit ones up front. That, however, might lead to a bunch of unnecessary extensions of its own. I think that the 1b solution would nicely solve this problem without introducing unnecessary extensions.

One issue that might come up is that 64-bit operations might be more expensive (either in latency or in throughput) than the corresponding 32-bit ones (I'm thinking specifically about multiplication and division here, but if we're spilling a lot, there could also be stack-size and bandwidth effects), and we might want some target input on that.

In short, I would not be so hard on #3 ;) -- this is a legitimate problem that might not have a nice target-cost-independent solution, but I suspect that the benefits of using 1b as the new canonical form probably outweigh the negative side effects.

 -Hal

> 2) Add the NSW (and NUW) bits to the DAG, and query them in the
> address mode matching to match across (sext (op nsw ...)) and (zext
> (op nuw ...))
>

> 3) Add a complete hack to CodeGenPrepare (or similar) which does #1
> as a non-canonical step in the IR.
>

> I dislike #3 intensely -- we really want to be able to combine on
> this stuff in a canonical way, so I want the pattern to either
> always be (gep ... (sext (op nsw ...))) or (gep ... (op nsw (sext
> ...))). Also, it feels like quite a hack around the lack of fidelity
> in the backend.
>

> I'm perfectly fine with either #1 or #2. Doing #1 would require a lot
> of benchmarking to make sure the different canonicalization doesn't
> regress lots of things, and probably a few fixes where it does
> regress things. These are likely to be easy to find by looking for
> patterns that match sext.
>

> Doing #2 requires a plumbing these flags through the DAG. I don't yet
> know how hard that would be, but it doesn't sound too bad. The
> current approach I would probably take is to add an SDNodeProperty
> for NSW and NUW, and nodes for operations with those flags. But that
> means generalizing everything that currently only looks at ADD.
> There is probably a better way to express this in the DAG, so if
> this is the direction folks thing LLVM should go, point me at any
> ideas you have about how to best implement it.
>

> Currently, I would naively go after #1 just because I know exactly
> how to do that. But it doesn't feel quite right and I wonder if we
> should really invest the time in making sure the backend is aware of
> the NSW and NUW flags.
>

> -Chandler
>

> [1]: Note that we could fix this inside of loop bodies when its an
> induction variable by widening the induction variable. But that
> doesn't fix in the general case.

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist
Leadership Computing Facility