[LLVMdev] Future of the LLVM OpenMP runtime

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Tue Feb 25 15:58:35 PST 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 15:13 , Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:

> Now that we've kick-started the LLVM OpenMP runtime discussion, I want to make a concrete proposal to get a test suite up and running for the LLVM OpenMP runtime. I don't think the current setup as an LLVM subproject is sustainable going forward without some form of testing support, automated or otherwise.
> Alp.

I work at a small start up that writes a lot of computationally-intensive code. The guys who work on that use OpenMP, but they're primarily targeting our Linux-based servers, and typically build with GCC. However, a big chunk of that code also goes into the iOS app that I'm responsible for, and thus OpenMP support is very much something we desire.

Using macros that either use OpenMP or GCD, we addressed our biggest hot spots, but only for a very particular class of OpenMP constructs. I'd love to see it fully integrated into Xcode.

Not sure how much I can help, but if you want me to try to build our stuff with it as it moves forward, let me know. Mostly I just wanted to voice my support for the effort.

--
Rick