[LLVMdev] [GSoC 2014] Using LLVM as a code-generation backend for Valgrind

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue Feb 25 09:54:11 PST 2014

-valgrind-dev, it bounced for me
+timurrrr
+zhaoqin
+eugenis

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM, John Criswell <criswell at illinois.edu>wrote:

> On 2/24/14 12:51 PM, Denis Steckelmacher wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've seen on the LLVM's Open Projet Page [1] an idea about using LLVM to
>> generate native code in Valgrind. For what I know, Valgrind uses libVEX to
>> translate native instructions into a bitcode, used to add the
>> instrumentation and then translated back to native code for execution.
>>

> I think a more interesting idea would be to use LLVM to perform
> instrumentation and then to use Valgrind to instrument third-party
> libraries linked into the program.

We did this with DynamoRIO, ASan, and MSan, and published the results:
http://research.google.com/pubs/pub41440.html

It's a cool idea, but we haven't been able to productionize it enough to
test Chromium yet.  The code for the msan side is actually in compiler-rt:
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/compiler-rt/trunk/lib/msandr/msandr.cc?view=markup

Ultimately it may be easier (on Linux) to build new instrumented packages
for every library that you care about testing with.