[LLVMdev] Optimizing math code

Michael Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Mon Feb 17 17:10:33 PST 2014

Hello LLVM-dev,

I’m writing some crypto math code in C, and trying to make it as simple and portable as possible, so that there won’t be any unforeseen platform bugs.  Ideally, I’d like the compiler to as much work as possible for me, and I’m wondering if you know how to make clang (or gcc, for that matter) do some of this.  So I have a couple of questions.  If this is the wrong list to ask for LLVM+Clang questions, please point me to a better one :-)

First, addition.  I have multiprecision integer objects, and I’d like to add them component-wise (likewise, subtract, negate, mask…).  For example:

struct mp {
	int limb[8];
} __attribute__((aligned(32))) ;

void add(struct mp *a, const struct mp *b, const struct mp *c) {
    for (int i=0; i<8; i++) a->limb[i] = b->limb[i] + c->limb[i];
}

When compiling this code on an architecture with a vector unit, I’d ideally like to see it get vectorized.  With AVX2, the whole function can be done in 3 instructions (load, add, store), or as little as 1 instruction if it’s inlined and the inputs are already in registers.  But clang doesn’t vectorize it.  Is there a simple way to get it to vectorize portably?  I’d like to port to ARM NEON as well as SSE and AVX, and I’d like to be compatible with GCC, so I’d rather not use ext_vector_length if I can avoid it.  If I can’t avoid it, I can cobble something together with a big vector_intrinsics.h file or something.

You might think that vectorizing a 4-long loop wouldn’t matter, but of course field addition is inlined and called all the time.

GCC 4.7.2 vectorizes the above code, but bails to scalar code if a==b or a==c, which isn’t necessary.  It doesn’t check this if you declare the arrays restrict, but in fact the function is called with a=b=c, so restrict would be wrong.

A second issue is multiplication.  Even in a trivial case, I can’t convince either clang-3.3 or gcc-4.7.2 to unroll a nested loop with a fixed trip count:

void mul(struct foo *a, const struct foo *b, const struct foo *c) {
    for (int i=0; i<2; i++) {
      for (int j=0; j<=i; j++) {
      	a->limb[i] += b->limb[j] * c->limb[j-i];
      }
    }
}

On GCC, -funroll-loops makes the code much worse by duplicating the inner loop body many times.  Clang doesn’t do that, but it still doesn’t unroll the inner loop.  Is there a way to automatically unroll small, fixed, nested loops?

Thanks for your time,
— Mike