[LLVMdev] Proposal: split tools/opt/opt.cpp to OptTool and a smaller main()

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Fri Feb 14 08:42:32 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> wrote:
>
>> I thought that opt was supposed to basically be a way to run a
>> PassManager over some IR? Seems like the new PM should standardize the
>> appropriate things and have them be a natural part of its API.
>

> FWIW, it will. I don't want to try to sequence these things though.

I don't think any of my changes contradict future PM work. On the contrary,
if they reduce code duplication in places that could only have benefits.

I have a feeling some folks overestimate the extent of these changes. All
I'm doing is trying to take all the cruft that has been dumped into opt.cpp
over many years and modularize it a bit, making it more convenient to reuse.

P.S. is there an ETA on the new PM work?

Eli