[LLVMdev] cmake/ninja build failing

Alexey Samsonov samsonov at google.com
Thu Feb 13 07:55:53 PST 2014

Brad,

How does COMPILE_FLAGS and COMPILE_OPTIONS work together? I.e. are their
contents joined to produce a single compiler invocation?
Also, why there is no COMPILE_OPTIONS property for source files?

Looks like we really need to switch to newer CMake and make use of
target_compile_options...

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 2/12/2014 11:15 PM, Seth Cantrell wrote:
> > Well, I updated to cmake 2.8.12.2 but the result of changing that
> > COMPILE_FLAGS to COMPILE_OPTIONS is that quotes are applied incorrectly
>
> That's because the set_target_compile_flags function in LLVM is
> creating the space-separated command-line string that the old
> COMPILE_FLAGS option wants:
>
> >> function(set_target_compile_flags target)
> >>   foreach(arg ${ARGN})
> >>     set(argstring "${argstring} ${arg}")
> >>   endforeach()
> >>   set_property(TARGET ${target} PROPERTY COMPILE_FLAGS "${argstring}")
> >> endfunction()
>
> Try changing the function to just:
>
>  function(set_target_compile_flags target)
>    set_property(TARGET ${target} PROPERTY COMPILE_OPTIONS "${ARGN}")
>  endfunction()
>
> Of course an upstream version of this change would be simpler
> if it just dropped set_target_compile_flags and set the property
> directly at the call sites.  One could even use the APPEND option
> of set_property to add options incrementally.
>
> -Brad

Alexey Samsonov, MSK