[LLVMdev] Compiler-RT roadmap

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Feb 11 01:15:50 PST 2014

On 11 February 2014 02:26, Vadim Chugunov <vadimcn at gmail.com> wrote:
> - Separation from clang
> I've seen a suggestion to rename compiler-rt to "libclang_rt", but its'
> applicability is much broader than just clang.  I think it would make more
> sense to make it more independent of clang, not less.  If anything, it
> should be renamed "llvm-rt", because it's LLVM codegen that emits references
> to functions defined in compiler-rt.

I'm not directly involved in the compiler-rt project, but I think this
is a very good point.

> - Being able to build it for all platforms that LLVM can target
> Since LLVM-produced binaries depend on compiler-rt, it should be available
> for all LLVM target platforms.  This seems not to be the case currently (at
> least via Makefiles, maybe it's possible via cmake, but I have not been able
> to make it work on Mingw/Windows).

This is, unfortunately, a manual process. The library is being
developed mainly for x86_64, and not much more. I'm making them build
for ARM, but I'm still not sure it works. ;)

I'll update the status later, when I get Clang to recognize --rtlib on
non-Darwin systems.

> - Inclusion of libunwind
> It was also suggested that libunwind should be moved from libcxxabi into
> compiler-rt, because it isn't C++ specific.   To me, it seems like the
> correct decision, because LLVM generates direct calls to _Unwind_Resume for
> any code that uses 'invoke' instructions and cleanup landing pads.
> Is anyone already working on this?   And if not, do compiler-rt maintainers
> agree that this is the right thing to do, and will they accept patches?

I think that was the rationale, yes, and one that I and many people agree.

> I've developed some patches that try to address #1 and #2 above:
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20140203/203928.html
> Can somebody please take a look?   Who are the current maintainers of
> compiler-rt?

Unfortunately, I can't review them, especially for Windows. Too far
from my area of expertise. ;)

cheers,
--renato