[LLVMdev] Unwind behaviour in Clang/LLVM

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 6 16:19:22 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>wrote:

> On 6 February 2014 19:21, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> if (nounwind)
>>   can't unwind
>>

> can't unwind == unwind table + no EH directives + no EH table
>

> if (uwtable || (!nounwind && need uwtable to unwind))
>>   unwind table
>>

> "need unwind table to unwind" is probably true in almost all cases. At
> least in all where ARMException and DwarfCFIException are concerned, which
> is the ones we're discussing about.
>
> I'm beginning to think that there is no reason at all to have an uwtable
> attribute, given that the -funwind-tables is propagated to the back-end AND
> if we emit the table for one function we should do it for all.
>

> I believe the intent is:
>>   -fexceptions/-fno-exceptions controls whether we generate code that
>> copes with exceptions passing through it.
>>

> Right. Landing pads, cleanups, etc. We'll need those for emitting the EH
> tables, but not the unwind tables, so for this particular discussion, we
> don't need to worry.
>

>>   -fcxx-exceptions/-fno-cxx-exceptions controls whether we allow
>> exception constructs in C++ code (throw, catch, try) and whether we
>> validate exception specifications (both during compilation and at runtime).
>>   -fobjc-exceptions/-fno-objc-exceptions controls whether we allow
>> exception constructs in ObjC code (@throw, @try, @catch).
>>

> Language-specific stuff, not even important to the EH tables (since in the
> back end we don't care what constructs you use in the language, only the IR
> basic block structure).
>

>   -fno-exceptions implies -fno-cxx-exceptions and -fno-objc-exceptions
>>   -fcxx-exceptions and -fobjc-exceptions require -fexceptions
>>

> Will -fcxx-exceptions also include -fexceptions? I mean, if the user
> specify -fcxx-exceptions in C, will that also turn on all the internal
> flags that -fexception would?
>
> If so, we really don't need to worry at all about them.

-fcxx-exceptions implies -fexceptions if the input kind is C++ and is
ignored if not.
-fobjc-exceptions implies -fexceptions if the input kind is ObjC(++) and is
ignored if not.

Which isn't quite what you asked, but I think the conclusion is the same
(you don't need to care, the driver does the right thing).

> -funwind-tables appears to be an entirely orthogonal flag, which is by
>> default determined based on the target (with some -f flags to override the
>> default), entirely ignoring the -fexceptions flags and language mode.
>>

> Right. They do clash in the back-end, since one generates EH unwinding and
> the other might only generate Dwarf unwinding. We need to clear that
> confusion in the back-end, but I don't think that the front-end should even
> care on how it gets implemented in the end, as long as it works.

This does not appear to be a flag that an end-user should touch, under most
>> circumstances, but it's far from clear to me that we're getting the default
>> right here (maybe it should depend on -fexceptions?).
>>

> I think that both -fexceptions and -g should turn -funwind-tables by
> default. The third user is the backtrace which doesn't need debug or EH
> info (just the unwind table), and you need the -funwind-tables IFF your
> target doesn't have it on by default.
>
> I can only think about GPU targets that won't need any of that, but
> they're not using Dwarf or EHABI handlers, so we shouldn't concern about
> that. Embedded CPUs might want them disabled to save space, and for that we
> should actively disable (-fno-unwind-tables or -Os/z).

This (-fexceptions and -g imply -funwind-tables) seems like it's probably
the right thing for most targets. With SjLj exceptions, -fexceptions
probably doesn't need -funwind-tables.

 The 'nounwind' attribute is set if -fexceptions is specified, or if we
>> have some other way of knowing the function does not throw.
>>

> You mean -fno-exceptions, I believe. I think this behaviour is correct.

The 'uwtable' attribute is set based on the value we determined for