[LLVMdev] Guidance to understand the Vectorization framework of LLVM

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 4 16:10:26 PST 2014

On 2/4/14 5:44 PM, rahul wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I have been working with Clang for a while now and have worked on a few bug fixes.
>>
>> I would like to delve further in the area of Vectorization and get familiar with its code.
>>
>> It would be great if someone could help me by pointing out a few resources which will help
>> me understand Vectorization?

I'm not sure which techniques the LLVM vectorization code uses, but
Optimizing Compilers for Modern Architectures by Allen and Kennedy
describes the basic challenges with vectorization well and describes
vectorization algorithms for array-based programs.  Those techniques, or
techniques similar to them, are probably what the LLVM vectorization
code uses.

That said, have you taken a look at the LLVM vectorization code? The
comments may list books or papers that describe the algorithms that the
code implements.

-- John T.