[LLVMdev] Newbee question: LLVM backend regression tests for thumb1 targets on simulator possible?

Bjoern Haase bjoern.m.haase at web.de
Mon Dec 15 03:29:01 PST 2014

Hello,

as a newbee, I'd appreciate some support on regression test setup.

Specifically, I am interrested in the feature of tail call optimizations for
the ARM v6m targets. This feature currently seems to be completely
deactivated at the moment (v6m being based on thumb1 ?!). According to my
code-reading, this feature will involve some modifications in epilogue
generation.

My work on a gcc backend did show me that for a beginner like me, it is rather
likely that the first attempts will break something.

Thus, being completely new to the llvm project I think that it's
essential to first establish a suitable regression test setup. My plan
is to run the tests for the v4t platform in thumb-only mode where free
simulators are available and which behaves (at least with respect to the
epilogue) very much like v6m.

 From former work on gcc I'm used to the possibilty to run regression
tests in a simulator for the target platform (there with the expect
script mechanism). In the documentation on the web, I did, however, not
yet find information on a comparable feature for llvm.

Therefore the specific questions:

- Is there a mechanism to run backend testsuite runs in a simulation
framework and if yes, could you give me a hint on how to find information
- If not, how is regression testing for the thumb1 targets currently
implemented?

Yours,

Björn Haase

P.S.: Of course, any hint with respect to sibling call optimization
would also be appreciated in a second step. I actually already found some helpful
information in the sources.