[LLVMdev] Debugging on unavailable hardware

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Dec 10 12:36:57 PST 2014

On 10 December 2014 at 19:06, Serge Pavlov <sepavloff at gmail.com> wrote:
> In revision 223114 I committed a fix to clang project. It caused fail on
> clang-native-arm-cortex-a9:
> http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-native-arm-cortex-a9/builds/23599.
> According to logs it was a problem with memory allocated by malloc.
> Reverting the fix in 223120 made the bot green. The changed code does
> nothing with heap, none of other bots failed, so it looks like a platform
> specific problem.

Hi Serge,

We're seeing this behaviour, too, and on unrelated commits. We're
working to make that bot more stable.

That same commit passed on another ARM bot:

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-cmake-armv7-a15/builds/2123

which means that it probably had nothing to do with your commit, but
the bot's instability. I suggest that, for the time being, if you see
a failure in one ARM bot, check the others to make sure the problem
can be reproduced across the board.

If all fail, revert your patch and we'll try to debug. If only one
fail but not the other, wait until the next build finishes. If the
build is still broken the same way, revert. If not, ignore.

> Could somebody advice how I can investigate the problem? I don't have
> appropriate hardware and  running tests in emulated environment does not
> shows any problem, all tests pass.

If the problem persists and you need to debug the problem, let me know
and I could give you temporary access to an ARM board, or even run
that for you.

Alternatively, there is a new cloud service that I'm testing
(https://cloud.online.net/) that provides remote *real* ARM boards for
testing. They have a 15 minute trial that you could run some examples
and retrieve the logs.

cheers,
--renato