[LLVMdev] Future plans for GC in LLVM

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Tue Dec 9 16:10:50 PST 2014

On 12/08/2014 04:02 PM, Russell Hadley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This looks great.  I'm excited to see this come in and the direction looks right to me.  I've started to look at how to use LLVM to target the MS CLR GC (now being open sourced) and the statepoints are much closer to the current implementation so that could make my life easier.  On your questions, add my vote to the ability to implement a custom binary format for safepoints since it means I can just target the CLRs format.
It seems like there's a strong desire to preserve the custom binary
format mechanism.  I wasn't really expecting that, but I see no real
downsides other than some minor code complexity.

>   I've been trying to keep up with your progress but since I'm coming out of lurk mode I have a few questions:
>
> - From the documentation it looks like you're using the patchpoint stackmap format (http://llvm.org/docs/StackMaps.html#stackmap-format).  In that format you can describe register locations - but from the overview (http://llvm.org/docs/Statepoints.html#overview) it implies that all gc pointers are spilled to the stack.  Is the spilling to memory required?  Or is the plan to allow gc pointers to reside in register as well.  (I'm hoping that a store/load at safepoinsts won't be required and that they can stack register resident)
At the moment, we will eagerly spill and the stack map will only contain
stack slots.  My hope is in the not too distant future to extend the
backend infrastructure to allow accurate reporting of gc pointers in
registers.  The format specification already supports this, we're just
not able to actually exploit that in the backend yet.
> - I'm still fuzzy how code motion is blocked from moving SSA uses past the safepoint once they've been inserted?   I'm likely just missing some invariant in LLVM or the design since I can't seem to noodle it out from what I've seen.
I think Sanjoy's response did a pretty good job on this one.  If it's
still unclear, let me know.
> - In the CLR GC we don't require the base object pointer to be kept alive for a derived managed pointer (interior pointer) but in your design there is  the requirement to maintain a base, derived pairing.  (If I remember right this is a Java requirement) Is this a hard requirement?  Or is there the potential for other collectors to deal just with managed pointers
I'm a little unclear on what you're trying to ask here.  A pointer
associated with an object (say, the address of a field) must keep the
object alive; doing otherwise would create use-after-free errors.  I'm
guessing that you simply don't keep interior pointers live across a
safepoint?  That's fine and everything should work normally.

If - at the safepoint - all of your pointers are base pointers, then you
can simply list it for both the base and derived fields in the
gc.relocate.  This mechanism definitely works; it's a pretty common case
for any compiled code.

The other case you might be referring to is so-called 'contained
objects'.  (i.e. one gc managed object embedded within another, but
whose lifetimes are distinct)  This is a more complicated case, so
unless this is actually what you're getting at, I'm going to avoid
explaining all the complexities.  :)