[LLVMdev] Memset/memcpy: user control of loop-idiom recognizer

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sat Dec 6 05:06:31 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kevin B Smith" <kevin.b.smith at intel.com>

Hi Kevin,

I don't disagree, but if we can come up with a reasonable way of describing this space, then using this description to hint the memcpy intrinsic might be better than a binary recognize/don't-recognize switch. It is not yet clear to me. Quickly, I can think of a few:
 - Alignment (we currently provide one alignment, but the source and destination can have different alignments)
 - Direction (should the memory be traversed forward or backward)
 - Blocking factor and direction (how much memory should be loaded/stored "at a time", and in what order should those loads/stores be issued)
 - Load/store size (what data type was used for the individual loads/stores)
 - Cache hinting (if we do idiom recognition on target-specific intrinsics, we'd need to capture whether the stores were non-temporal, etc.)

Thanks again,
Hal