[LLVMdev] Memset/memcpy: user control of loop-idiom recognizer

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Fri Dec 5 17:44:59 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kevin B Smith" <kevin.b.smith at intel.com>

Hi Kevin,

Just so everyone is on the same page, when we convert a loop to a memcpy intrinsic, we're really talking about this: http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#llvm-memcpy-intrinsic -- and this intrinsic carries alignment information. Now one problem is that it carries only one alignment specifier, not separate ones for the source and destination, and we may want to improve that. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand that we're not just transforming these loops into libc calls, but into intrinsics, and the targets then control whether these are expanded, and how, or turned into actual libc calls.

> Database folks often write their own copy routines for use in
> specific instances, as do OSes, such as when they know they are
> clearing or copying exact
> page size on exact page-size boundaries, and have very special
> implementations of these, including some that will use non-temporal
> hints, so as not to
> pollute cache.

I don't think we perform loop idiom recognition based on target-specific intrinsics (such as those providing non-temporal stores).

 -Hal

> It is also worth pointing out that most loops have a very specific
> behavior in the case of overlaps that is well-defined, and that
> memcpy does not.
>
> There are definitely good reasons why various knowledgeable users
> would not want a compiler to perform such a transform on at least
> some of their loops.
>
> Kevin Smith

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist