[LLVMdev] Brain dump on type merging

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Dec 3 22:49:15 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <
dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:

> I'm less aware of the tradeoffs re: the opaque pointer type, but your
> brain dump is compelling.  I'd be interested in whether anyone thinks
> the loss of type safety there is important.

As probably the primary person to work on SROA and related passes in the
last few years that deal with pointer types, I can say that there is in
fact no type safety at all. There is just the illusion of type safety. We
would lose absolutely nothing from this.