[LLVMdev] Bug 16257 - fmul of undef ConstantExpr not folded to undef

Duncan Sands duncan.sands at deepbluecap.com
Wed Aug 27 06:34:10 PDT 2014

Hi Oleg,

On 27/08/14 18:17, Oleg Ranevskyy wrote:
> Duncan,
>> Hi Oleg,
>>
>>>  >> /This is either a mistake, or a decision that in LLVM IR snans are always
>>> considered to be signalling. /
>>> Yes, this seems to be an agreement to treat "undef" as a SNaN for "fdiv".
>>
>> "undef" is whatever bit pattern you want it to be, i.e. the compiler can
>> assume it is any convenient value.  For one fdiv optimization maybe it is
>> convenient to choose it to be the bit pattern of an snan, for some other fdiv
>> optimization the compiler can choose it to be 1.0 if that is convenient.
>>
>>> The question is whether we can make the same assumption for other floating point
>>> operations, or "fdiv" needs a correction to prevent folding since signalling of
>>> SNaNs might be disabled.
>>
>> You can assume that undef is an snan if you want in any floating point
>> operation.  But what does that assumption buy you?  If you are willing to
>> assume that the processor will trap on snans then it buys you a lot for any
>> floating point operation, but if you are not willing to assume that then you
>> need to find some other trick or give up on folding the operation to undef.
> This is confusing me a bit.
> On the one hand, we can assume undef to be an SNaN for the sake of folding.
> InstructionSimplify makes such an assumption and folds "fdiv undef, %X" and
> "fdiv %X, undef" to undef.
> On the other hand, there are the requests to fold "fmul undef, undef" / "fadd
> undef, undef" to undef as well. However, it was stated that such folding is
> questionable as signalling of SNaNs can potentially be disabled.
> Shouldn't fdiv / fmul / fadd be consistent as regards the assumptions they make?

use, they should be consistent.  Either snans can be assumed to be signalling,
in which case this information should be used everywhere, or they can't be
assumed to be signalling in which case the signalling argument can't be used
anywhere.

> Could you please advise how we should proceed with the bugs 16257 and 16258 then?

I think you should try to get LLVM floating point experts involved, to find out
their opinion about whether LLVM should really assume that snans always trap.

If they think it is fine to assume trapping, then you can fold any floating
point operation with an "undef" operand to "undef".

If they think it is no good, then the existing folds that use this need to be
removed or weakened, though maybe another argument can be found to justify them.

Ciao, Duncan.