[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Raising LLVM minimum required MSVC version to 2013 for trunk

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sat Aug 23 13:24:16 PDT 2014

On 22 August 2014 20:18, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
> I second this. My experience with VS is that new features are usually
> broken if you go beyond the simple cases. And the roadmaps have little
> credibility, based on a continuous flow of disappointments since...
> forever.

Is there any interest from Microsoft to actually fix those problems,
or is that their policy that what's there is there? The latter seems
to be their policy on other products, and for what I know, VS too. I
ask that because holding on partial and broken support that will never
be fixed or completed is kind of backwards.

I'm not a Windows guy, but I wonder why so many people use MSVC if the
support is so patchy and hopeless as most people seem to imply. Also,
compiling Clang with MSVC and making Clang MSVC compatible are two
completely different things. A commercial toolchain based on MSVC
compatibility doesn't necessarily need to be compiled with MSVC
itself.

Or maybe the Windows environment is so alien that I'm basing my points
on completely unreasonable assumptions...

cheers,
-renato