[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raising minimum required Visual Studio version to 2013 for trunk

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Thu Aug 21 16:48:44 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
> This thread hasn’t had too much traffic, but it sounds like many people are
> in favor and there is no strong opposition. If I understand Aaron’s only
> objection was based on preserving existing policy rather than a technical
> reason.
>
> Anyone want to make the official call?

I am still opposed.

We told the community less than nine months ago (when we made the
C++11 switch) that we would support the last two versions of MSVC. Now
we're saying "only the latest version, because it has nice things."
That would make sense if those nice things were something we couldn't
live without, or if there was a long delay for a new release of MSVC.
Neither of those things seem to be the case, so I'm not certain why we
would change our developer policy on three day's notice.

~Aaron