[LLVMdev] llvm::Triple support for haswell-enabled x86_64

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 00:23:46 PDT 2014

On 20 Aug 2014, at 18:03, Jim Grosbach <grosbach at apple.com> wrote:

> There’s a few more subtleties, but that’s a reasonable analogy. While the sub-arch is related to a -march= setting, it is very definitely not the same thing. It’s not even just the sub-arch. Consider, for example, that “thumb” and “arm” have separate top-level triple values.
>
> Yes, this whole system of how the arch and sub arch triple stuff works is brittle and ugly. Now that we have module level attributes and such, it’s probably possible to design something more sane. It’s debatable whether it’s worth the effort, but it’s possible.

We had a little bit of discussion recently about treating triples as config file names.  The triple would, in this model, *just* be a name and would define a file that contained a load of command-line options (-mabi, -mcpu, --sysroot, -B, and so on).  We'd ship some, people wanting to ship their own SDKs could ship other ones.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

David