[LLVMdev] Proposal for ""llvm.mem.vectorize.safelen"

Robison, Arch arch.robison at intel.com
Wed Aug 20 08:17:01 PDT 2014

Now that I'm looking at editing LangRef, I have a question.  The current
llvm.loop.vectorize metadata are hints, and have this constraint:

   The``llvm.loop.vectorize`` and ``llvm.loop.interleave`` metadata are only
   optimization hints and the optimizer will only interleave and vectorize loops
   if it believes it is safe to do so.

But safelen is different.  It's an assertion about safety, so prefixing it with
llvm.loop.vectorize seems inappropriate.  Does is sound reasonable to drop
the "vectorize" portion.  Maybe spell it something like this?

	llvm.loop.carried_dependence_distance.min

- Arch