[LLVMdev] C Backend Ressurected

Mathias Fröhlich Mathias.Froehlich at gmx.net
Mon Aug 18 22:44:24 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 14:02:45 Bruce Hoult wrote:
> I don't know how good it is, but the applications seem obvious. e.g.
> compiling programs in any of a number of original formats to run natively
> on CPUs that have a working simple C compiler (maybe only K&R or C89) but
> don't have an LLVM back end.
>
> The source program could be in modern C, C++, or any other high level
> language or assembly language with a translator to LLVM.

Or similar, but not identical.
Code generation. Have some software that plugs together something in a
domain specific language. But the result should run on a not so
common microcontroler where you may only have a c compiler.
A lot of real time system environments use that kind of methods to
get the final code. There it could also be beneficial to pre optimize
the code on this level before you write out the c code.

Greetings
Mathias