[LLVMdev] C Backend Ressurected

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 07:57:35 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Carback, Richard T., III
<rcarback at draper.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> 2 of my summer interns (Aimee Dipietro and Greg Simpson) used their time
> over the summer to resurrect the LLVM C Backend:
>

> https://github.com/draperlaboratory/llvm-cbe
>

> Improvements include recovery of simple for/while loops (instead of goto),
> better variable naming, inline asm support, and making it work on a more
> recent version of llvm. I believe they used the repository here as a
> starting point:
>

> https://github.com/glycerine/llvm/tree/cbe_revival
>

> Feedback is welcomed. I would like to see this feature put back into LLVM,
> and any help on how to make that happen would be appreciated.

While I've no particular dog in this race, I will say that the usual
objection/point of contention here is: who will maintain it?

It was removed because it was bitrotting and unmaintained. Given the
burden it places on active developers to fix API changes, etc, in it,
there's a general expectation that whoever wants this feature must be
actively contributing to the project to, in some sense, pay in kind
for the work that will be necessary on the part of others over time.

- David