[LLVMdev] [LNT] running LNT in 'the cloud'

Chris Matthews chris.matthews at apple.com
Tue Aug 12 11:01:28 PDT 2014

On a few occasions, Daniel has mentioned running a LNT instances from a PaaS cloud.  A while back I decided to see if that is possible.  I am happy to report it is.

In r210134 I made the necessary changes to allow LNT to run on the Heroku PaaS cloud.

https://www.heroku.com

The commit is all configuration changes to instruct the cloud on how to run the app.  I have a live instance of LNT here:

http://llvm-lnt.herokuapp.com/ <http://llvm-lnt.herokuapp.com/>

Some of the reasons I think this is a good idea:
 - you don’t maintain the infrastructure,
 - this is a much higher reliability setup,
 - it is probably faster,
 - you can scale it indefinitely,
 - collaboration on the LNT installation is easy.

The setup I built uses 1 Heroku “dyno” (a unit of compute power)  and 1 database.  This setup falls into the Heroku free category so they are not charging me to run it, although real use would push it into the pay categories.

The cloud configuration makes the web servers and database separate.  The web servers are stateless, spawned on http requests, and sleep during periods of inactivity.  They can also move between machines transparently.  The database is a high availability Postgres cluster.

If anyone else would like to make their very own instance, all you need to do is approximatly follow the instructions for setting up Heroku for a flask app:

https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/getting-started-with-python <https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/getting-started-with-python>