[LLVMdev] Proposal for ""llvm.mem.vectorize.safelen"

Johannes Doerfert doerfert at cs.uni-saarland.de
Tue Aug 12 10:49:04 PDT 2014

Hello Arch,

I very much like the idea of such an annotation, especially since I was
looking for the same thing in the recent past. My use case is different
from yours, thus it might provide a second reason to support this.

I recently submitted a patch to the list [1] which would allow Polly to
extract the dependency distance for each analyzable loop. While the
distance is often not constant but parametric we would also need to
version the vectorized loop based on the actual runtime values. However,
the versioning doesn't need to be done by the vectorizer but could also
be part of Polly (depending on whether or not the vectorizer will have
that capability). I admit that we would need a good heuristic in order
to turn this feature on as a default optimization, but I will work on
that in the near future too.

Best regards,
  Johannes

[1] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20140804/230137.html