[LLVMdev] [Zorg] Reorganisation, documentation and other issues

Galina Kistanova gkistanova at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 11:07:32 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

Zorg is a common code for multiple different buildbot setups. This is why
it sits in its own subtree.
The only tricky thing there is that it assumes some relative position of
zorg and master setup. Documenting this would save somebody some time.

All together wasn't a problem so far. But having a better documentation and
a set of files for a simple local setup is a good idea. Patches are
welcome. Otherwise it will wait till I have time for this.

> * Buildbot should load slaves from a file not under version control for
local testing.

I'm skeptical about pre-cooked dev buildbot/zorg setup. In any real case, a
developer will need to modify the master to host a custom builder which is
work in progress. The best we can do is preparing a consistent set of
configuration files for a simple existing builder (just one), but all files
should be under the version control. So one could be sure the setup is
complete and could see the local changes he/she made and roll them back if
desired.

The rest is fine with me.

> * reload()

As Daniel mentioned, we are trying to apply as much changes as practical
without restarting the production buildbot. Each restart is a disturbance.

> * Ancient version of buildbot.

We had problems with newer versions and we have a number of local changes
and bug fixed which didn't make in 0.8 branch because the buildbot team
considers them "too risky". The changes are pending for 0.9.
The production is stable and working well, and I'm not aware of any cool
feature we are missing on master. None of this changes is relevant for the
"new builder development" case, only fr the production build master.

Slaves are a different story. As far as I know, we work with any recent
version of slaves.

Bounding the "dev/test setup" to any specific version could be easily
avoided by choosing a right builder. So, this should not be a problem for
someone who would wont to develop and test a build factory.

> * llvmlab, osuosl, smooshlab?

Reorganizing this currently is a work in progress. osuosl is in use; llvmlab
is in use but will be decommissioned; smooshlab is used internally and is
pending to be removed.

In general, if you don't feel comfortable developing and debugging a build
factory for the buildbot, you can always use the scripted builder. This is
why we added it in the first place.
It provides a way to have an internal script which would integrate in to
the buildbot and look "native" as well as could be used by itself. It was
used for cross builds and for the Dragonegg scripts.

Thanks

Galina