[LLVMdev] [RFC] OpenMP offload infrastructure

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Mon Aug 11 02:15:13 PDT 2014

On 08/11/14 01:03 PM, Das, Dibyendu wrote:
> I didn’t see SPIR discussed anywhere.
This isn't OpenCL and depending on OpenCL for OpenMP may not really make
sense. While I have my own opinions - If you feel strongly that it will
help enable higher performance somewhere please list those reasons.
----------
More specifically
LLVM has a native AMD dGPU backend that is tightly coupled to the
compiler. Unlike other platforms which use things like PTX or other
byte-codes. Those platforms lose performance or have to work-around not
having hw level details. Assuming this is done correctly it would be a
disservice to emit SPIR instead of native codegen. (Imagine JAVA JIT vs
C performance)

This also keeps everything in the open..

In my experience - people don't use OpenMP because they want so-so
performance.. and with Exascale this will be increasingly important..