[LLVMdev] How to broaden the SLP vectorizer's search

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Fri Aug 8 12:28:15 PDT 2014

Hi Frank,

> On Aug 8, 2014, at 12:16 PM, Frank Winter <fwinter at jlab.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Nadav,
>
> increasing the number of instructions per bucket indeed results in a completely vectorized version of the given small function. For a medium-size function I had to increase the bucket size to 8192 to achieve full vectorization.

This means that you had at least 8192 stores in that medium-sized function. :)   I wonder why it is necessary to vectorize two stores with thousands of other store instructions in between. Are you sure you need such a high number?

> If I then try this setup on one of my larger functions (containing one huge basic block) it seems that the O(n^2) algorithm you were talking about hits me hard here. After 10min in SLP I sent the termination signal by hand.
>
> I remember the documentation saying that SLP is a quite versatile vectorizer. I was wondering if I only need to vectorize the load/store/arithmetic a single basic block and nothing else, are there any parts in SLP that I could deactivate in order to reduce the time needed for optimization?

The SLP vectorizer starts by finding sequences of consecutive stores. It sounds like most of the time is spent in the code that find consecutive store sequence. You could probably verify this assumption using a profiler.

I think that one way to move forward would be to improve the routine that finds consecutive stores. At the moment we iterate over all possibly combinations and use SCEV to figure out if two stores are consecutive. We can’t simply ’sort’ the stores based on the distance from some location because there could be multiple base indices. I think that one way to improve the search is to sort the store instructions into buckets according to their memory type.

Thanks,
Nadav