[LLVMdev] MCJIT generates MOVAPS on unaligned address

Arnold Schwaighofer aschwaighofer at apple.com
Thu Aug 7 14:57:33 PDT 2014

Your .ll file does not have a data layout. Opt will not initialize the DataLayoutPass. The SLP vectorizer will not vectorize because there is no DataLayoutPass.

  debug-cmake/bin/opt -default-data-layout="e-m:e-i64:64-f80:128-n8:16:32:64-S128" -basicaa -slp-vectorizer -S </Users/arnold/Downloads/module_H7ktW0.ll | grep "<4 x" |  grep store
  store <4 x float> %198, <4 x float>* %204, align 8

There is a bug in the SLPVectorizer however - it should be “align 4” - we get the alignment of the pointer type which is not what we want we want the alignment of the stored/loaded value. It should be

if (!Alignment)
  Alignment = DL->getABITypeAlignment(SI->getValueOperand()->getType());

I am not sure that would fix your issue though, because that would mean we return the wrong alignment not none.

If the call below returns 0 then something has gone wrong in setting up the data layout in your compilation pipeline.