[LLVMdev] FPOpFusion = Fast and Multiply-and-add combines

Sanjay Patel spatel at rotateright.com
Wed Aug 6 11:30:17 PDT 2014

Hi Samuel,

I don't think clang follows what gcc does regarding FMA - at least by
default. I don't have a PPC compiler to test with, but for x86-64 using
clang trunk and gcc 4.9:

$ cat fma.c
float foo(float x, float y, float z) { return x * y + z; }

$ ./clang -march=core-avx2 -O2 -S fma.c -o - | grep ss
    vmulss    %xmm1, %xmm0, %xmm0
    vaddss    %xmm2, %xmm0, %xmm0

$ ./gcc -march=core-avx2 -O2 -S fma.c -o - | grep ss
    vfmadd132ss    %xmm1, %xmm2, %xmm0

This was brought up in Dec 2013 on this list:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-December/068868.html

I don't see an answer as to whether this is a bug for all the other
compilers, a deficiency in clang's default settings, or just an
implementation choice.

Sanjay