[LLVMdev] Can't build clang 3.4.2

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Sun Aug 3 14:52:29 PDT 2014

I can build llvm 3.4.2 fine, using instructions in GettingStarted.html,
and making assumptions to account for my using tar files instead of svn.
Although I had downloaded and extracted both llvm-3.4.2.src.tar.gz and
cfe-3.4.2.src.tar.gz, giving directories llvm-3.4.2.src and cfe-3.4.2.src,
clang apparently did not get built.  The only files with names starting
with "clang" anywhere inside my llvm directory are Ascii text, C source,
or directories.

If I run ../cfe-3.4.2.src/make, (in my "build" directory, as suggested), I see:

Makefile:42: ../../Makefile.common: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `../../Makefile.common'.  Stop.

There is no file by this name anywhere inside cfe-3.4.2.src, nor is there
one named configure either.  Merging the files in llvm-3.4.2.src and cfe-3.4.2.src
is obviously wrong, since they contain various same-named but different files.

GettingStarted.html, get_started.html, the llvm FAQ, two README.txt and one INSTALL.txt
have not helped me.

--
Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates at acm.org