[LLVMdev] Proposal: add intrinsics for safe division

Michael Zolotukhin mzolotukhin at apple.com
Wed Apr 23 22:52:20 PDT 2014

Hi,

I’d like to propose to extend LLVM IR intrinsics set, adding new ones for safe-division. There are intrinsics for detecting overflow errors, like sadd.with.overflow, and the intrinsics I’m proposing will augment this set.

The new intrinsics will return a structure with two elements according to the following rules:
safe.[us]div(x,0) = safe.[us]rem(x,0) = {0, 1}
safe.sdiv(min<T>, -1) = safe.srem(min<T>, -1) = {min<T>, 1}
In other cases: safe.op(x,y) = {x op y, 0}, where op is sdiv, udiv, srem, or urem

The use of these intrinsics would be quite the same as it was for arith.with.overflow intrinsics. For instance:
      %res = call {i32, i1} @llvm.safe.sdiv.i32(i32 %a, i32 %b)
      %div = extractvalue {i32, i1} %res, 0
      %bit = extractvalue {i32, i1} %res, 1
      br i1 %bit, label %trap, label %normal

Now a few words about their implementation in LLVM. Though the new intrinsics look quite similar to the ones with overflow, there are significant differences. One of them is that during lowering we need to create control-flow for the new ones, while for the existing ones it was sufficient to simply compute the overflow flag. The control flow is needed to guard the division operation, which otherwise can cause an undefined behaviour.

The existing intrinsics are lowered in a back-end, during legalization steps. To do the same for the new ones, we’d need a more complicated implementation because of the need to create a new control flow. Also, that would be needed to be done in every backend.

Another alternative here is to lower the new intrinsics in CodeGenPrepare pass. That approach looks more convenient to me, because it allows us to have a single implementation for all targets in one place, and it’s easier to introduce control-flow at this point.

The patch below implements the second alternative. Along with a straight-forward lowering (which is valid and could be used as a base on all platforms), during the lowering some simple optimizations are performed (which I think is also easier to implement in CodeGenPrepare, than on DAGs):
We don’t to generate code for unused part of the result structure.
If div-instruction on the given platform behaves exactly as needed for the intrinsic (e.g. it takes place for ARM64), we don’t guard the div instruction. As a result, we could avoid branches at all if the second part of the result structure is not used.
The most expected users of the result structure are extractvalue instructions. Having that in mind, we try to propagate the results - in most cases that allows to get rid of all corresponding extractvalues.

Attached are two patches: the first one with the described implementation and tests, and the second one with the corresponding documentation changes.

The first patch happened to already get to the trunk, but the topic is open, and any suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
Michael