[LLVMdev] Questions on non-byte-aligned fields

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Sun Apr 13 09:15:17 PDT 2014

In essence, LLVM doesn't lower bitfield operations.  It's the
responsibility of the frontend to lower bitfields to some appropriate
integral type, load that, and mask the relevant bits in and out.

An advantage of this design is that there's only one way to represent
bitfield operations, and the optimizers only have to match one form.  If we
had two ways of representing this, users would file bugs that manual
masking was faster or slower than bitfields.

Another advantage is that it gives the frontend control over width of the
load and store, which is important for implementing memory models with
threads.