[LLVMdev] [RFC] Simple control-flow integrity

Tom Roeder tmroeder at google.com
Wed Apr 2 17:28:04 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:54:07PM -0700, Tom Roeder wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, the intrinsic you proposed has no effect on the caller and has
> > > non-local effects on other specified functions. I'm not aware of any
> other
> > > intrinsic with similar behavior.
> >
> > I agree that it's not very similar to other intrinsics. But I don't
> > exactly follow these statements. There are definitely intrinsics that
> > have no effect on the caller, like llvm.var.annotation.
>
> Yes but the purpose of such intrinsics is to communicate information about
> a specific value that may have an effect on analysis, optimization or code
> generation for that caller. On the other hand, the intrinsic you are
> proposing
> has nothing to do with the caller.
>
> > And AFAIK,
> > there is no non-local behavior: all the intrinsic does is lower to the
> > labeled jump instruction; the changes to address-taken functions are
> > done separately by the CFI pass. Note that in the patch I sent, the
> > intrinsic only takes one argument: the function to jump to. Are there
> > other effects in this case?
>
> The non-local effect is that the intrinsic describes the definition of a
> function in the global scope. Normally such definitions come from top-level
> entities.
>
> > So, maybe it would be better to call it something like
> > @llvm.unconditional.jump(i8*)? I could then make it only lower to the
> > jump and add an intrinsic that lowered to a function label as well.
>
> I'd imagine that might present more problems. For example, if you used
> either intrinsic in the middle of a regular function the behavior would not
> necessarily be well defined. It would be necessary to carefully document
> where and how these intrinsics may be used.

Taking these considerations into account, I propose this:

Jump functions created for the jump table are actual functions, marked with
a new jumptable attribute, as well as naked and noreturn and optnone. Each
table is put in a special section using the section attribute, and
alignment of these functions is done using the align attribute. The
combination of these attributes means that the function has no preamble or
postamble, so it consists of exactly a global function label and its
instructions.

Then I think it would make sense to create an intrinsic like
llvm.jumptable.instr(i8*) that would be a placeholder for an unconditional
jump. I can add code to the verifier that insists on two conditions:

1. functions marked as jumptable must have exactly two instructions: an
llvm.jumptable.instr followed by a unreachable.
2. llvm.jumptable.instr can only occur in a jumptable function.

I think this handles the problem of using llvm.jumptable.instr in normal
functions: that isn't allowed. And I think it deals with the problems of
non-local behavior by making functions out of the things that really are
functions. Each entry in the jump table really is a function, albeit a
rather strange one, so it should look like a function at the IR level.

In other words, this change would add a new attribute that marks a very
specialized kind of function and an intrinsic that can only occur in this
kind of function.

What do you think?

Tom