[LLVMdev] RFC - Adding an optimization report facility?

Diego Novillo dnovillo at google.com
Wed Apr 2 07:41:51 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Neil Hickey <neil.hickey at gmail.com> wrote:

I'd like to reiterate Gerolf's comment that different levels of verbosity
> would be really useful, personally I'd like to see all the way down to very
> detailed analysis of the decisions the compiler is taking if you set the
> verbosity level high enough, like -vec-report an -ftree-vectorizer-verbose
> in other compilers.

Yeah. The vectorizer is one of the most useful to instrument.

> This is something we'd be really interested in seeing added and we had
> already started working on something similar ourselves, though it obviously
> makes more sense for us to contribute to this effort.

Thanks!

> What is the current status of the implementation?

It's under review. http://llvm-reviews.chandlerc.com/D3226 and
http://llvm-reviews.chandlerc.com/D3227.

So far, I've only instrumented the inliner.  My immediate plans are to add
instrumentation to the major ones: loop, vector and inliner. Adding
diagnostics to other optimizers is ~trivial once the main patches land. I
need to address the current feedback, add tests and finish the review
cycle. I suppose it will take a few more days.

Thanks. Diego.