[LLVMdev] How to make sure llvm.memset intrinsic is not lowered into memset() call?

Alexey Samsonov samsonov at google.com
Mon Sep 30 09:22:39 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM, John Criswell <criswell at illinois.edu>wrote:

>  On 9/30/13 9:40 AM, Alexey Samsonov wrote:
>
> Hi llvmdev!
>
>  There are cases when we want our instrumentation passes for Sanitizer
> tools to insert llvm.memset.* calls (basically, we want to mark certain
> region of user memory as (un)addressable by writing magic values for
> "shadow" of that memory region). llvm.memset are convenient:
> (1) we don't have to manually emit all these n-byte stores in a cycle.
> (2) llvm.memset can be inlined as a platform-specific fast instructions
> (e.g. SSE).
> But there will be a problem if llvm.memset is lowered into a regular
> memset() call: sanitizer runtime libraries intercept all memset() calls and
> treat them as function calls made by user, in particular checking that its
> arguments point to an addressable "user" memory, not some
> sanitizer-specific memory regions.
>
>  Can you suggest a way to ensure llvm.memset() is not transformed into
> memset function()? This intrinsic has <isvolatile> argument, which limits
> possible optimization of this call, does it make sense to add yet another
> argument, that would forbid transforming it into function calls?
>

> Dumb question: why not run the ASan instrumentation passes first and then
> run the pass that inserts the calls to llvm.memset()?
>
> Alternatively, why not put the llvm.memset and load/store instrumentation
> into a single pass?  That way, the pass can determine which memsets it
> added itself and which are ones from the original program that need
> instrumentation.

Sorry, I didn't understand your suggestions. Maybe I poorly described the
problem. We need a way to teach CodeGen that some llvm.memset intrinsics
can't be lowered into memset function call (those, that were added by ASan
instrumentation pass), and some can (all the others). Otherwise the program
would crash on ASan-added memset() at runtime.

> -- John T.
>

>  --
> Alexey Samsonov, MSK

Alexey Samsonov, MSK