[LLVMdev] request for tutorial

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Sep 25 14:22:13 PDT 2013

On 25 September 2013 22:13, Preston Briggs <preston.briggs at gmail.com> wrote:

>  A lot of my difficulty in reading other examples is that it's not clear
> what matters and what doesn't. It's what I hope to get by sitting next to
> someone and asking questions. Some of this could be addressed in a guide.
> I'd start with a chapter on planning.

Another approach, a mix between a dummy back end and Karen's proposal, is
to not only write documents on how things piece together, but also add
comments to the code on how important this file/function is, how it fits
with the rest, and how generic/specific it is.

Documentations get outdated more often than comments in the code, and LLVM
is particularly good at generic comments, but not so much at teaching how
to use the code.

Patches adding comments are also a good way to learn how something works.
You send a comment, people say how wrong that is, and in the end, you learn
by teaching others via your comments.

cheers,
--renato