[LLVMdev] [GSoC] Flang's end of GSoC report

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Sep 23 10:16:30 PDT 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 10:01 AM, C. Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:

> On 09/23/13 11:54 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 23, 2013, at 5:25 AM, Alex L <arphaman at gmail.com <mailto:arphaman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone!
>>>
>>> Today is the official "pencils down" day for GSoC and I wrote a report describing what results I've achieved since my last report in July:
>>>
>>> http://flang-gsoc.blogspot.ie/2013/09/end-of-gsoc-report.html
>>>
>>> Thanks for this GSoC LLVM!
>>
>> Wow, this is really fantastic work.  I'm surprised and impressed by how much progress you made.
>>
>> Can you comment more about Pathscale's plans, and why they don't want to release the code?
> Initially the code will continue to be developed privately, but there's a big ?<question mark> and sticky note to look at what makes best sense - It's a conservative approach, but that's how it is for now.

Do you have specific goals here?  This is not a great way to foster the community and get contributions to the project.

> It's along the same lines as to why OpenCL by most vendors is developed privately..... (I realize this has gotten a lot more attention and better in the past 1-2 years)

… you're absolutely right, that is a great analogy.  I think that the way OpenCL was developed, specifically its lack of open source engagement, is universally considered to be a failure that should not be repeated.  Look at all the vendors who independently had to invent the same functionality, then clashed when they each tried to merge it back to mainline clang.

I'm not sure what business advantage you think that a fortran frontend would give you, but you should carefully consider what you think you're achieving.

-Chris