[LLVMdev] [ASan] static linking on android?

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:58:34 PDT 2013

Why does compiler-rt ship a shared object for ASan on Android instead
of a static library?  Would statically linking ASan on Android at
least be safe for standalone executables?

And if I'm wanting to use ASan in C++ code that is invoked from an
APK, can I statically link ASan?  If not, what is the reason we need
to preload Dalvik with the ASan shared object?  I assume static
linking here would mean that ASan would miss leaks and overflows in
Dalvik, but are there other drawbacks?

Thanks,
Greg