[LLVMdev] LLVM virtual machine

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 19 08:37:42 PDT 2013

On 9/19/13 9:53 AM, Herbei Dacian wrote:

> Hi Konstantin,
> good point.
> but I my intention is to have something like the llva project.

If you want something like the LLVA project for user-space applications,
then you basically want to use LLVM as-is.  The only things missing are
the instructions that replace certain in-line assembly sequences that
cannot be represented by regular LLVM instructions or LLVM intrinsics
(e.g., context switching), and chances are good that you don't need them
unless you're supporting kernel code or something like a user-space
pthreads library (or you are really pedantic about not using inline
assembly code).

As an FYI, I'm building a new version of SVA (LLVA) that works on 64-bit
x86 processors.  It supports the FreeBSD 9.0 kernel.  I probably won't
replace all the inline assembly code in the FreeBSD kernel like I did
for Linux 2.4.22 years ago, but most of the important features will be
there (and are, in fact, already implemented).

We plan to release this version as open-source software within the next
year (I suppose we could release the old version, too, but nobody uses
Linux 2.4 on x86 anymore), but I don't have a timeline for that yet.  My
first order of business is to use the new SVA system to graduate.
:)

-- John T.