[LLVMdev] [Polly] Compile-time and Execution-time analysis for the SCEV canonicalization

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Tue Sep 17 22:46:13 PDT 2013

On 09/17/2013 04:12 AM, Star Tan wrote:
> Now, we come to more evaluations on http://188.40.87.11:8000/db_default/v4/nts/recent_activity

Hi Star Tan,

thanks for this very extensive analysis. The results look very
interesting. As you found out, just removing some canonicalization
passes will reduce compile time, but this reduction may in large part
being due to Polly not being able to optimise certain pieces of code.

Instead of removing canonicalization passes, I believe we may want to
move Polly to a later place in the pass manager. Possibly at the
beginning of the loop optimizer right before
PM.add(createLoopRotatePass());

We would then only need a very low number of canonicalization passes
(possibly zero) and instead would put a couple of cleanup passes right
after Polly. What do you think?

Cheers,
Tobias