[LLVMdev] Removing legacy profiling code from LLVM

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Sep 13 13:30:02 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM, <msharp at codeaurora.org> wrote:

> Chandler Carruth wrote:
>
> >Alright, I'm ready to nuke it. Last chance to say stop.
>
> Stop.
>
> >For context of others, this has come up repeatedly: no one we know of is
> >using EdgeProfiling.cpp, PathProfiling.cpp, and the
> >lib/Analysis/Profile*Pass.cpp collection of tools.
> We've been actively using it since at least 2.8.  True, we haven't been
> vocal about it.
>
> While I can see perhaps getting rid of some of the older ProfileInfoT
> related stuff, certainly the instrumentation portion and the metadata
> loader (ProfileDataLoaderPass) portion are of use to us.
>
> Isn't Bob Wilson also using, or at least interested in, some of the
> metadata based profiling too?
>
> While we're talking about it, there are associated portions under
> runtime/libprofile that we're using too.

Since I have seen no patches from you to this code since 2.8, maybe you
should move the pieces in the mainline tree to live with the pieces that
clearly are out-of-tree? I don't think we can support one half of a PGO
system in tree because the other half is in an out-of-tree repository. That
doesn't really make sense.