[LLVMdev] Let's not depend on terminfo / curses?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Sep 9 00:24:49 PDT 2013

On 9 September 2013 01:09, Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org> wrote:

> I think depending on curses is gross,

I totally agree, but I also don't have a better way of doing this. I agree
with Joerg that hard-coding escape sequences is not the way forward. Even
though curses is available on pretty much every OS, there are hacks you
have to do to port across OSs, especially old Unices.

If folks think that bringing in the decades of cruft in curses is a good
> idea, I'd ask that the --enable-curses=no --enable-terminfo=no path at
> least keeps the old logic. Are there any objections to that?

(And since there are probably fewer shells on OS X, would anyone mind if
> --enable-curses=no --enable-terminfo=no was the default on OS X? And since
> even git can get away with it, maybe on Linux too?)

If this is *just* for fancy make output, I'd say be gone with it. But Clang
could also depend on it for fancy error reporting (does it?), which is a
different matter. I don't really mind fancy output either way.

cheers,
--renato