[LLVMdev] adding new target to configure script

Preston Briggs preston.briggs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 14:00:13 PDT 2013

I'm experimenting with a new backend, hoping to build a cross compiler, and
reading "Writing an LLVM Compiler Backend". Early on, in "Preliminaries",
it suggests editing my configure script to add my new target to the
TARGETS_TO_BUILD variable, suggesting some creativity may be required.

I'm perhaps not creative enough, 'cause I can't get it to work. I tried a
couple of variations (one seemed straightforward; in the other, I went
through looking for every example of Sparc to see how they did it and
making the appropriate changes).

I tried configuring like this

    ./configure --enable-target=preston --disable-optimized
--enable-assertions=yes --prefix=/path-to-install

and it chunked along for a while, but ultimately failed, complaining

    configure: error: Unrecognized target preston
    configure: error: ./configure failed for projects/sample

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Preston