[LLVMdev] [polly] one more slow pretty printing in the default path

Star Tan tanmx_star at yeah.net
Sun Sep 1 19:55:42 PDT 2013

At 2013-08-29 03:44:05,"Tobias Grosser" <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:>On 08/28/2013 10:08 AM, Sebastian Pop wrote:
>> Hi,tic
>>
>> in lib/Analysis/RegionPass.cpp there are 3 occurrences of:
>> CurrentRegion->getNameStr()
>> These are slowing down compile times with polly.
>> I would suggest to either remove these calls,
>> or only turn on when the programmer asks for -debug.
>>
>> The reason for the slow pretty printing of types is the same as
>> previously discussed in:
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-July/063755.html
>
>Just removing those calls looks like a hack as it yields -analyse output
>without named regions.
>
>On the other side, having calls to WriteAsOperand in
>Region::getNameStr() is the cause of this slowdown. It helps us to
>provide a reasonable way to name regions that do have unnamed basic
>blocks. If we can find a better/faster way to name such regions we could
>remove the call to WriteAsOperand without regrets. We could e.g. just
>assign an increasing number to each new region and just call them
>region_<number>.

I think it may be not easy to understand the mapping relationship between regions and basic blocks if we simplify call them region_<number>.  Since the key problem is to identify anonymous basic blocks, maybe we can try to obtain the sequence number of those anonymous basic blocks. In that case, we can simplify the Region:getNameStr() into:

if (getEntry()->getName().empty()) {
    //    raw_string_ostream OS(entryName);
    //    WriteAsOperand(OS, getEntry(), false);
    entryName = "BB#" + getEntry()->getGlobalSequenceNumber();  //getGlobalSequenceNumber is required to be implemented!
  } else
    entryName = getEntry()->getName();

which is similar to the way used in MachineBasicBlock class. Of course, we need to implement the getGlbalSequenceNumber() or similar functions.

BTW, has anyone already had a testcase that will produce regions with anonymous basic block.  I can have a  try to fix this problem.

Star