[LLVMdev] Preserving accurate stack traces with optimization?

Quentin Colombet qcolombet at apple.com
Wed Oct 30 11:00:28 PDT 2013

Philip,

Thanks for the clarification.

As far as I can tell, there is currently no way to preserve a full and accurate stack trace while utilizing most of LLVM’s optimization abilities.

The work on debug information may help you get the information you need, but I do not think we will provide information on stack frames that have been removed via inlining or tail call. Moreover, if at some point you also need the values of the arguments of a removed stack frame, this seems heroic to be able to provide such information.

This is my understanding of what we have currently, folks working on the debug support may give you more inputs on that (CC’ed Eric).
As for the sanitizer, I have no idea what stack trace they are reporting, I let them comment on that.

** To Eric **
Could you comment on the way we are generating stack frame information and in particular how inlining is handled, i.e., does an inlined function showed up in the stack frame information (seems unlikely, but who knows :)).

-Quentin