[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Mon Oct 28 17:13:04 PDT 2013

On 10/29/13 07:01 AM, Richard Smith wrote:

> [As an aside: I use libc++ for my Clang development (on Ubuntu Linux),
> and it works for me (tm). This is with libstdc++ providing the ABI
> pieces, rather than libc++abi or libcxxrt, though.]
libc++ "works" for us as well, but it can't self host. I don't know if
your "works" and my definition of works is 1:1. Can your clang+libc++
build itself multiple levels deep?

I believe both ABI alternatives are drop-in replacements and I hope not
the root cause of what we observed. (We are only testing with libcxxrt
though)
I could totally be wrong about libc++ and it's "our" fault in the
testing we've done. I apologize if this is a non-issue and I hope during
the "heads up" phase we have time to actually interject if there are
potentially fatal issues. Forcing a dependency on gnu runtime/libs/STL
is a serious regression imho.