[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Oct 28 16:20:05 PDT 2013

Focusing on one comment:

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Today you could probably pick a somewhat newer
> Clang than 3.1 without much real impact on us, but it would hurt to have
> the requirements change with every release.  From our perspective it's
> much better to change no more than every two years or so.

I think that from the project's perspective, we will have much better
success if we at least evaluate this after each release. That's the time
cycle on which we will have a reason to think about it.

I don't think that it makes sense to only change every two years. If you
want more stability, I think the easy path to that is to jump Clang
versions, say, every year. Then you'll control and slow down the upgrade
frequency on your end, but there will always be enough overlap with the
latest release.