[LLVMdev] Is there pass to break down <4 x float> to scalars

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Oct 25 06:28:10 PDT 2013

On 25 October 2013 14:15, Richard Sandiford <rsandifo at linux.vnet.ibm.com>wrote:

> Also, llvmpipe uses intrinsics for some things, so it might be strange
> if we decompose IR operations but leave the intriniscs alone.

Yes, this is a problem with OpenCL as well. I wonder if it'd be useful to
have a compiler-implemented inlined library code for each type of supported
intrinsic, so that you can also lower them to code.

For targets that don't support the intrinsics, well, the IR wouldn't
compile, so being slow is better than not working at all, but I wonder how
much worse it would be to do that.

cheers,
--renato